For our April Seasonal Series, I give you… Arugula Pesto! I feel like I could eat arugula a million different ways because I love it’s naturally peppery taste. A new way I thought I would try is making it into a pesto! This pesto still packs a delicious flavor punch and works well on everything you would normally use pesto for! Think pasta, chicken, sandwiches, and more!
The best part is that this recipe whips up in just a few minutes.
First, put a skillet over medium heat and toast your pine nuts for a few minutes until they’re lightly toasted/light brown. If you don’t have pine nuts, walnuts would also work well here. Please don’t skip this step! Toasting the pine nuts is crucial and adds a delicious depth of flavor to the pesto. After toasting the nuts, put everything into a food processor or blender and blend to your desired consistency!
Depending on how you like the texture and consistency of your pesto, you may want to add a little more olive oil or lemon juice.
Once this pesto is made, store it in a jar in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks! This recipe makes about 1 cup of arugula pesto.
- 3 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Toast pine nuts in a warm skillet for a few minutes until lightly toasted.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can blend as long as you'd like depending on your preferred pesto texture.
- Serve on top of chicken, as a pasta sauce, or as a condiment for sandwiches!