The enjoyable part of Spring is finally here! No more pollen and weather that hangs out in the mid-70’s. Finally! And this weather gets me stoked for all of the abundance of fruits and vegetables that are about to come into season. Berries, herbs, tomatoes, and one of my personal favorites, asparagus! So for the next recipe on up the April Seasonal Series, we have an asparagus onion and ham frittata!
This frittata is the perfect brunch companion, packs a ton of flavor, and really doesn’t take much effort to make. Not to mention you may have some leftovers, making weekday breakfast a breeze for a couple of days.
Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. On your stovetop, start by heating your oil and adding your chopped onion to a cast iron skillet. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
Next, add your ham to the skillet and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Then add half of the chopped asparagus. I like to save the top ends of the asparagus for later to use to decorate the top of the frittata.
In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, cheeses, salt, and pepper. Once combined, pour the mixture over top of the vegetables and ham in the skillet.
Once you have your egg mixture is in the skillet, arrange the remaining asparagus on the top of the frittata into whatever design your heart desires. I was feeling a little type of “sun-burst-like” design.
Next, pop that bad boy into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until it is cooked all the way through. The frittata should be golden brown on top and smell like heaven!
Remove the asparagus onion and ham frittata from the oven and allow it to cool for a minute or two. Then, cut it into slices, top with some sliced scallions, and serve!
Asparagus Onion and Ham Fritatta
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cups white onion chopped
- 1 ¼ cups ham diced
- 2 cups asparagus spears chopped in half, divided
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup low fat milk
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded manchego cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat cast iron skillet with grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil) over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion to skillet and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in ham and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add half of the chopped asparagus to the pan and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cheese. Pour mixture over the vegetables and ham in the skillet.
- Arrange remaining asparagus in a pattern if desired on the top of the frittata.
- Place skillet in the oven for approximately 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Top frittata with sliced scallions and serve!